Saturday, June 9, 2012

Part 28 Goodbyes and Wildfire 2

I felt a strong hand on my shoulder and before I knew it I was pointing my gun in Charlie's face. It was dark out but not so dark that I couldn't make out who I was pointing my gun at. Charlie froze but had that grin of his on his face. “Well you either shoot me or say good morning” he said. I moved the gun out of the way and raised my head, feeling a bit disoriented. I blinked and looked around. It was dark out but then I realized that it was the dark just before the dawn as the sky had that lightened hue to it. I shook my head to clear it and then remembered everything. Maggie and I slept out on the deck in our sleeping bags, while Frank and James took the long benches in the trucks to layout on. Charlie and Malika slept where-ever they usually slept on the ferry.

I must've been having one of those bothersome dreams that caused me to react the way I did. Gun in hand and ready to blow out the brains of whatever zombie that was attacking me. Only I didn't, thankfully. It was just Charlie, my old friend and our savior from having to deal with the dead for a while. He remained where he was, sitting on his heels beside me and Maggie, who was beginning to stir in her sleeping bag. I noted that Charlie was un-fazed by having a gun stuck in his face. Given his back ground why should he be. I sheepishly put the my gun on the deck and sat up further. Even doing that and Charlie squatted down beside me I still had to look up at him. His grin hadn't faded a whit.

“I'm sorry about that man,” I muttered and then yawned hugely and shook my head again. Some cobwebs just refuse to be shook loose, ya know? The big man shrugged as if it were all inconsequential. “Actually,” he began thoughtfully, “I'd been disappointed if you didn't pop-awake with a gun in your hand these days. These days you don't get second chances.” His grin got wider and his teeth showed, “just glad you didn't pull the trigger.” I nodded agreeing with him totally, but still had to rib him, “Well, you're lucky you aren't any uglier than you are now or I'd mistaken you for one of those things out there.” Immediately Maggie slapped me on the arm. “That wasn't very nice. I think your friend is quite handsome.”

Charlie laughed softly. “Just for that, you're more-n-welcomed to stay on the boat with us. It'd be a pleasure having another beautiful lady on board.” Though it was hard to see I'm sure Maggie blushed three shades of red. The compliment pleased her so much that she buried her face in my shoulder to hide it. She lifted her face after a moment then smiled sweetly up at him. “Just for that I might take you up on that offer big guy.” I reached down and gave her butt a playful swat, saying nothing. Maggie giggled and buried her face in my shoulder again. I saw Charlie's approving glance before he stood up straight, towering over both of us. He turned and walked back towards the wheelhouse.

I laid back down on the deck again bringing her with me and holding her around the shoulders and pulling her close. I looked up at the clear sky, growing brighter as the sun was rising. “Sleep good?” I asked her. She nodded and shifted her weight a bit before settling against me again. “You?”

I stayed quiet, reflecting upon the dream I had, though most of it had faded I still recall the feeling of terror and despair it left me. “Good enough” I lied. She accepted it without comment, but I had the feeling she knew I wasn't telling the truth. “Good enough to make you wake up and almost blowing your friend's brains out?”

I gave a deep sigh, “okay, it was good until the last part before Charlie woke me up. It was just a bad dream, that's all.” She raised her head and stroked my chest consolingly. “I have those too hunny” she whispered. I looked at her and saw the sadness in her eyes, “I know” I whispered back. “Hopefully, they'll go away after a while.”

Frank's voice called out from somewhere behind us. “I hope you two are awake over there and I hope you're in separate sleeping bags!” His voice was light, jovial and teasing. Obviously he slept well at least. Maggie twitched and lifted her head and mockingly called back, “Actually we're in the same bag, John is still inside me and you just interrupted our coitus dammit!” Now it was my turn to blush, this was her father she was talking to, sheesh! The only reply was a laugh, “Just make sure you're done before James wakes up, you hear?” Charlie's voice boomed out over the deck, “My 14 year old daughter can see you guys from the wheelhouse you know!” The air was punctuated by both men laughing.

Maggie and I broke apart and went through the business of getting out of our sleeping bags. I tried to feel some of the humor but the nightmare dampened it somewhat. Maggie however seemed to be in as good spirits as the men. She was actually humming as she rolled up her bag. I stayed quiet and tended to business. If she noted my sour mood she didn't say anything further nor let it bring her down. She walked over to our truck and peered in the cab at James, who was still sleeping. She lightly placed the bag on top of the tarp and went over to her father to give him a hug. I stood up finally and got my bag into it's stuff sack but didn't bother to cinch it down as I usually did.

Saying nothing I went to the opposite side of the truck and put my bag on top of the tarp as well and went over to the far side of the wheelhouse to piss. I lit up a cigarette and as my stream hit the water I fought to erase the mood my dream had put me in. By the time I was finished, I think I was marginally successful. I tossed the butt out into the water, even though I only smoked half of it. The cigarettes were beginning to taste stale anyway. As I came back around the wheelhouse I saw the three of them were at Frank's truck and unloading crates from the back. Curious I went over to see what the results of the bargain were.

Maggie had placed a crate of grenades down on the deck at my approach and wrapped her arms around my waist, pulling me close and kissed my cheek. “I think Charlie got the better part of the deal here.” She nodded to the small pile of crates on the deck by the truck. One case of fragmentation grenades, one crate with five M-16's and two 1000 round ammo cans. An M-60 machine gun and 10,000 rounds on belts, also in ammo cans, one case of M-86 terrain denial mines, assorted boxes of MRE's, 200 gallon capacity water-filter with several replacement filters and a few other small assorted items. Honestly I was still surprised at the amount of ordinance Frank had packed along with us.

If our encounter with the hunters from a couple days ago had gone sour, those guys would've been severe trouble for anyone that met up with them. Charlie was likewise impressed but tried to give back some of the things Frank was using as payment. “This is just too much, honestly” he replied when Frank placed the last crate on top of the others. Frank stood up straight and stepped close to Charlie, looking up into the man's face. Just from his posture I could tell Frank was in that command mode. “Soldier, you will accept this payment on behalf of your daughter and your granddaughter. No arguments.” Then more gently, he placed his hand on Charlie's arm. “My gratitude knows no bounds for what you have done for us. This world has gone to hell and there are god-awful people out there. Lawless and savage. We've seen them and the only way to deal with them is what we put on your deck just now.” He put both hands on Charlie's arms now. “Please, accept them. We're carrying way too much anyway and you could use them as much as we can.”

Charlie looked down at the Colonel for a long moment. I could see that he was struggling with his pride and his common sense. Charlie was never one to take charity and always sought a fair price for whatever services he rendered to others. But, I agreed with Frank. He had his young daughter and baby grand-daughter to think of. Hunter groups won't be so charitable or nice because there's no threat of prison and no law to catch them anymore. At least not for a while anyway. Charlie's combat experience will help keep them alive for just so long without the tools. Frank's “payment” will be just one less thing for him to worry about.

Later in the morning Charlie had the ferry started up and we were headed down river to our drop off point. Frank suggested that we find another vehicle and for Charlie and his family to join us at Wildfire. Charlie nipped it in the bud right away, asserting himself strongly but respectfully declining. He had plans to drop us off and continue on down river to Mississippi state where he hoped that there were some survivors of his daughter's mother's family were. He said they too were river people and may have moved out into the waters for safety. “Besides, this area is getting thick with those damned things anyway, time to move on.” Frank consented, telling me later that he had a feeling that Charlie would turn him down anyway, but he had to make the offer of a safe haven regardless.

At about nine-thirty in the morning, James finally woke up. He was next to the last for guard duty the night before and also there was no real need to wake him. As he ate breakfast his mother explained about the deal between Frank and Charlie, and the boy nodded in approval saying that we should have given him more. Malika was out on deck, feeding Sharonda and enjoying some small talk with Maggie. James clearly wanted to spend more time with the baby but was still uncomfortable with the breastfeeding. The girl wasn't shy at all about covering up, why should she be?

Before we knew it Charlie had told us to get ready to disembark. He had no guarantees of a zombie free off load when we got to the boat ramp. Already he shown Frank and I on our map where we would need to go to get back to the main highway to our destination. Maggie and James both carried automatic rifles and stood at either end of the ferry keeping their eyes peeled for any sign of movement. Charlie stood by my truck which would be the first off, followed by Frank and speaking his goodbyes to me. Malika was at the wheel and throttle following her father's hand movements as he guided the ferry to the ramp. Like James she had to grow up a lot faster and become more capable than most kids their age. Charlie excused himself for a moment as the end ground against the bottom of the ramp. Quietly he lowered the right side anchor into the water as Malika put the engines into idle, ready to throw them in reverse at a moment's notice. With the left or port-side anchor Charlie tossed into the reeds that lined the shore. Lack of maintenance had them growing tall and thick along the river banks.

Once he was satisfied, Charlie lowered the front portion of the ferry to the ramp and waved us on. Maggie moved over to Charlie and spoke to him for a moment, then reached up to pull the man down so she could hug him and give him a big kiss on the mouth. Laughing quietly Charlie picked her up easily by the waist and stood up straight. He looked over at me grinning. “John, I think I am going to keep this woman of yours, she's just too sweet not to keep!” I shook my head and pointed down to the deck. We didn't want to shout too much, lest it might attract zombies. Charlie hugged her again and set her down. Maggie turned and walked back to our truck and got in. Her eyes were shiny and her face red.

James kept his place, still watching the water's edge and the top of the boat ramp but he was grinning ear to ear. I drove carefully off the ferry, stopping for a moment to shake Charlie's hand. “Thank you man. You stay safe.” was all I could manage. Charlie gave my hand a hard affectionate squeeze that was a private joke between us. “You too John. Take care of that woman and the boy. They're good for you, I can see that right off.” He looked at Maggie, having to lean down to peer inside the cab, “woman, don't go breaking his heart like the others and keep him well.” I glanced at Maggie who had tears down her face, all she could do by way of reply was nod vigorously. Charlie stepped back out of the way and waved me on.

I drove up the ramp until we reached the top and waited. In the side mirror I could see James giving Charlie a big hug, the boy's head barely reaching the man's chest. Surprisingly Malika came out of the wheelhouse with the baby and walked up to James. She threw one arm around his neck and kissed him on the lips. Maggie was grinning, watching in her own side mirror. James shuffled his feet and then leaned over and gave the baby a peck. He signed something to Charlie who must have interpreted for Malika, because the girl hugged him again and carefully ran back into the wheelhouse with the baby held against her chest. Frank drove up and reached out and shook hands with Charlie as James rounded the front of the truck and got in.

I took my eyes off them long enough to scan the road and saw a lone figure walking towards us. He was still a good distance away but the gait clearly said he was a zombie. “Maggie” and my tone got her attention, she spied the zombie and picked up the microphone. “Dad, we need to get going. We got one walking towards us. Don't see any others but, Charlie needs to get back out in the river again. ETA about 4 minutes.” A moment later Frank confirmed. In the mirror I saw them shake hands once more and Frank drove off the ferry. In my mirror I could see Charlie raising the ferry ramp and locking it down. He stood and gave a hand signal to Malika in the wheelhouse and the boat immediately began reversing back out into the river. Charlie stood there, holding one of the new M-16's in his hand and waving goodbye with the other.

We rolled up our windows and drove out on to the road, Frank not too far behind. The zombie snarled at us and reached out but it's hands were slapped away by my side mirror. I looked back and saw that it reached for Frank's truck as it approached. Suddenly Frank's driver side door opened and the truck leaped forward in a burst of speed. The door struck the zombie hard, knocking it down, then shut again. I chuckled at that and told Maggie what I saw. She shook her head and said nothing but there was a small smile on her lips regardless.

We found the main highway in a few minutes and headed on down the road. Maggie and I were silent for a while. Finally I let my curiosity speak. “Did you see what James said to Malika?” Maggie grinned and nodded. “Yes, he told her that if things were different he'd want to marry her.” My eyebrows rose up. “That had to been his first kiss.” Maggie laughed and nodded again. “I'm sure it was, he was quite taken with her. Told me last night how much he liked her. But I'm not sure if I'm ready to be a grandmother just yet. Told him he'd have to wait a couple more years. He didn't like that.”

I laughed, and was feeling good. “I'm sure you will be someday” reaching out and taking her hand. She immediately scooted over on the bench and put her head on my shoulder, “I hope so.” she sighed.

For the next two hours we drove on. Finally Frank called on the radio saying that we were close to where we would turn off. I slowed down and allowed him to pass so to take the lead since he knew the way at this point. What was nice, was that the roads were clear for the last few miles. It was almost as if they'd been cleared off either during or after the initial outbreak. Not even a lone zombie was present. Maggie suspected that the patrol helicopters were responsible for that. I got to thinking that when we get near this place that we would switch driving. They're going to check the drivers out before the passengers so at least she still got her military identification and hopefully they'll leave me alone.

When I mentioned this, Maggie grinned and said that her Dad's ID would be sufficient enough to let us all through. Besides she didn't have the clearance to enter without her father. The guards would've turned her away just as quickly as they would me if I were alone and happened upon the site. I didn't say it out loud but had a feeling that I would more-n-likely be shot on sight were I to be within a mile of the place. Especially now that it was occupied with high-ranking government and military people.

We traveled down a two lane highway for another hour before Frank's tail-lights flashed and the truck slowed. I checked my sidearm and hers as a precaution. In a couple of minutes we caught up to Frank who was driving slowly, looking for the turn-off. Finally his brake lights went on and he made a right turn into a gravel drive that spanned the ditch alongside the highway.

Up ahead we could see the beginnings of a tall fence and a large wooden, brown-colored sign with the U.S.F.S. logo on it. The sign reading something to the effect that it was (supposed to be) a wildlife preserve and the usual “no trespassing” and “no unauthorized entry” to go along with it.

There was a gate of course and the only thing that made it radically different from other forest service sites was the double coil of razor wire along the top of the gate and fence. Even without Frank and Maggie telling me about this place, I could tell right off that it was far from being an animal sanctuary. We parked in place behind Frank's truck and waited. Presumably Frank was making the preliminary calls and waiting for an answer. Ten minutes later we gotten it. Above, in front and behind us, were two ultra-modern looking helicopters with nasty looking appendages hanging off the undersides. Comanche gun-ships fully armed, Maggie explained. Just one of them could reduce both trucks and occupants to scrap in a matter of seconds.

We waited as the gunships hovered over us. Five minutes after the appearance of the helos came a large humvee with a machine gun mounted on the roof via turret, manned by a soldier in a bio-hazard suit. The vehicle stopped and another bio-soldier got out from the passenger's side and approached the gate. I found my palms wet with sweat and I fought to remain calm. Maggie reached over discreetly and gave my hand a squeeze without saying a word. The helos would have infrared sensors that could see in the cabs and be able to pick up anything that we would say. She returned her hand to the steering wheel and left it there.

The soldier who got out of the humvee, opened the door sized gate built into the main one and cautiously approached Frank's side of the truck. There was a brief exchange before the soldier saluted and headed back to the gate. Maggie gave a quiet sigh of relief, I still held my breath. Up ahead we could see the main gates swinging open and the humvee was already making maneuvers to turn around and guide us in. It drove ahead just far enough to allow both our trucks to get past the gate so that they could be closed and locked again. The soldier in the bio-suit hustled past us got back in the humvee, and we drove on.

The road was oddly not as well maintained as I would've suspected at first. Either they left it that way on purpose so to give it the appearance of an abandoned site or to make regular cars wreck their suspensions trying to navigate it. Either way we drove slow enough not to be jostled too badly. I took a quick peek in the mirror and ahead of us. Both helos were still with us, appearing through gaps in the trees. Maggie made a hand motion to me that I understood as “stay calm, it'll be ok”. I realized that I would need to calm down because being jittery is not a good indication of a person with peaceful intentions. “Crack the window and have a smoke” Maggie suggested. I looked over at her gratefully and did so. By the time we reached a guard house and a barrier, I was feeling a little calmer. Like the others, the guards at the guard house were in bio-suits. It was their featureless faces behind the gas-masks that made them so creepy looking. I didn't even want to look at them as they checked us out while we drove past. Fifty feet past the guard house we reached a clearing in the trees and got our first glimpse of Wildfire 2.

It was as Frank said. A huge rock quarry that was roughly 200 feet across and longer on the sides. Usually these were filled with water after years of rain and snowfall. But the bottom from where I could see was dry as the walls. I guessed they had an extensive drainage system that connected to an underground river somewhere beneath it all. The helos above us peeled off in opposite directions, going left and right. I glanced in the side mirror and saw that we were being followed by yet another armored humvee with a gun-turret on top. If we were the type to try something, it would've been the last thing we would've done. Discreetly Maggie pointed out watch-towers hidden in the trees along the top of the quarry. The place was indeed well guarded. Maggie said that she guessed the one with the President and cabinet likely had tanks and other armored support. This place was for lower government and military officials. Probably so that the politicians and actual policy makers can provide enough “votes” to pass whatever bills that the surviving upper members of government want. I worried about the Constitution then.

We followed the road cut in to the quarry walls around to the bottom. It continued next to the helicopter landing pad and went straight into a wall. From up top I couldn't see the lines but from down here the doors were quite evident. By my guess there were two doors that swung out into the quarry. There was nothing in front of the doors and the distance had to be about 45 feet meaning the doors were that wide and from the shape along the top edges about that tall. My mind began to unravel a little trying to conceive a hydraulic system big enough to open those doors.

I knew that they did exist but never got to see one up close. A man would be dwarfed by just one of the cylinders. Maggie said that the entire base was powered in part by both a small nuclear reactor and hydrological power via an underground river. But of course she didn't “officially” know that, yet. Not until at least she gets her clearance.

I still wondered about me and how I would be explained. If I was going to be passed off as Maggie's husband, then, alright, or possibly her fiancĂ©e. But as I discovered a half hour later, Frank had other ideas. James by virtue of being an offspring didn't have such worries. Sure enough soon as we passed the helicopter pad, the doors began to open. I was trying not to geek out because it was like something out of a Ian Fleming novel. I heard Maggie giggle and saw that she had her hand covered over her mouth and trying to suffocate the laugh that threatened to burst out of her. “What?” I asked and found myself starting to suppress my own laughter. She pointed at me and nearly lost it, it had to have been the look on my face. I was trying to watch the road and her. She took a breath and said: “your humming, that tune.” I snickered instead of laughing aloud. But I didn't reply in fear of my smart-alec tendencies. The tension must have really wound us up that tight over the last few hours. But until I was behind those closed doors, I still wouldn't feel quite as safe. The sniper that was after us, was military, and could conceivably pass himself off into this base. If he found it that is.

Maggie assured me that this was a highly classified area. So, very few people would know about it. Still, a sniper is advantageous enough for an installation like this. I would have to ask Frank about the insignia on the dead spotter's bdu's, and whether or not this installation stationed that unit. It may have been what pissed him off when he saw that guy's I.D. So there is that concern.

As we approached the gates they were nearly finished opening up. The tunnel beyond was immense. I also wondered how deep down it went. Blasted out of solid limestone what looked like an extra large railway tunnel. Full sized tractor trailers could fit inside going both in and out side by side with room to spare. The dock area alone must be huge for the trucks to maneuver enough so to turn around. I was right about the hydraulics of the doors and tried not to gape at them too much. I felt I had to at least pretend that I was not at all surprised about this place or it's features. Beyond the doors as we went without stopping past the first sentry's guard house. It spoke volumes about Frank's security clearance. I found out later, that it was a Captian sent out to meet us, to verify Frank's clearance. Almost immediately past the guard house on either side were un-manned sentry guns. Two sets on both sides mounted one above the other on the joints where the rock and cinder block walls met. Below them two cylindrical drums with large metal lined, flat hoses connecting the guns to each barrel. I had questions screaming at me about those guns bouncing around my head but there was still much more to see.

Just beyond the guns, were what looked like hangers and I saw through the doors of one partially opened, a helicopter, with parts laying all around it. Past the hangers were a series of metal doors like the type you find in a public storage unit facility. The whole length of the road was lit up by overhead lights using LED bulbs. We traveled at a leisurely pace of 15 miles per hour, like we were in a school zone or something. There didn't seem to be a lot of people around, but happily we knew, there'd be no walkers. Just before the dock which lay at the end of this road, was a turn out on our right. Frank's turn light flashed once telling me to pull in along behind him. All good humor I felt prior to entering this place, evaporated. I wasn't alarmed but I still paid attention to what was going on around us.

The turn out was no wider than a shoulder along the highway, which I imagine was a tight fit during re-supply days. The flanking hummers jutted out into the main road while our trucks nestled along side a stairway hewed out of the rock. We parallel parked and waited. Passenger side of the hummer in front of us opened and the soldier who got out, no longer had his bio-mask on. Well that at least was some relief. He approached Frank's truck easily and stood by the door and waited. Frank got out and shut the door and stood before the soldier. The man saluted Frank and it was returned smartly. Frank turned to us with an affirmative nod, his face expressionless. Maggie began to open her door and I quickly asked, “Armed or ...?”

She shot a quick glance at her father and nodded without saying anything. She opened her door and got out I was half a beat behind her, in opening, getting out and closing my door. Part of me wanted to adjust my gun belt a little but another part of me kept my hands away from it as casually as possible. As we approached the two we heard Frank's truck passenger's side door open and close and James came around the rear bumper and went directly to his mother's side. He was unarmed as far as I could see. It must've taken James some convincing to go weaponless. I knew from experience that the kid, probably didn't like it. I wondered if he resented the fact that I could go armed and he could not. He was after all, a 12 year old kid. A marvelous 12 year old at that.

He took his mother's hand and walked like a awed kid, looking up and around. I was guessing he was already studying the place. He even faltered a little, as if something interested him, causing Maggie to give him a small tug to keep moving, which completed the effect. Whether it was planned between the two of them I wouldn't find out until later. Maggie stopped smartly in front of her father and the Captian and almost made a show of wrestling James' fingers from her hand in order to salute them. “My apologies sir” she said and waited. Both men returned her salute and she relaxed. The Captian turned to me and I stepped forward and caught an almost imperceptible shake of the head from Frank that I was not to salute. The Captian held out his hand and I shook it. Frank made introductions all around during the whole meet-n-greet. I had a feeling it wouldn't be the last.

“Captian Blackstone at your service” he said as he shook my hand. “Welcome to Wildfire 2.” He then held out his hand towards the stairs and spoke to Frank, “Sir, if you and your companions would please accompany me to decontamination and de-briefing, the General is waiting to see you.” I had to ask, “Uh, Captian,” he turned and acknowledged me, “What about our ... personal effects?” The Captian seemed a tiny bit annoyed, I couldn't tell if it was the question or the delay. “Your things will be cared for and placed in a secure holding area, until such a time can be made for you to retrieve them.” Automatically I worried about my pack and sword and if I'll ever see either of them again. I also wondered if it and the trucks will be searched for whatever may pass as contraband in this place. I hoped that Frank's rank and position will prevent that from happening. Time would tell. We followed the Captian up the stairs without further delay.





No comments:

Post a Comment