Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Part 31 A Comfortable Stay? - Revised

We went down another floor on the elevator. When the doors opened, what lay beyond took us all by surprise. The lieutenant had a smile on her face as she stepped out and held out her hand to the area behind her. “This is the living quarters. I trust you will find them adequate and comfortable. The dining area is located on this floor, as well as the PX.” We all stepped out in what looked like a lobby in a fancy hotel that could be found in Vegas. Carpeted floors of a olive color, lush potted floor plants complimented by over-hanging plants here and there, lighted ceiling fans, scattered clusters of padded chairs and tables for groups up to four or six people. Several were occupied with groups of people looking relaxed and occupied either in conversation, dining, card playing or whatever. Several children ran here and there freely, laughing and chasing one another. It was as if the horrors one floor above and on the surface didn't exist and they were settled in for a relaxing stay at an exclusive resort.

The lieutenant said nothing, allowing us to take it all in. Along one wall was what looked like a front desk for a hotel, a uniformed non-com manned the desk and was busily talking with a man who looked like he was wanting directions to the pool or something. On the opposite wall was the aforementioned PX. I gotten the impression that it might've been taken from a shopping mall and rebuilt down here. Next to the PX was an opened area that presumably was the bar/restaurant. Looking left and right I could see that there was much more to it on the other side of the elevator shaft.

Frank was grinning, Maggie and James probably looked as thunderstruck as I was. It was simply incredible what they accomplished down here. We were guided to the “front-desk” by our liaison officer, where the non-com was finishing up with the man he was talking to. I could now see that the soldier was a Sargent but not quite sure of his rank, to me anything that had three chevrons pointing up was a Sargent, specifics such as master, staff, Sgt. Major or any of the other grades was lost on my civilian ignorance.

He saw our approach and acknowledged the lieutenant. “This is Staff Sargent Petersen, he'll help direct you to your needs on this level.” She explained as she looked at her watch, then addressed Frank. “Colonel, if you'll please, I've a matter that I need to attend to, Sgt. Petersen will assist you at this point. If you require my assistance, there's communication boxes in your rooms where you can page me. I hope your accommodations will be suitable.” she sounded hopeful at best. Frank nodded, “Thank you Lieutenant Jensen. I'm sure we'll be fine.” She turned on her heel and left without another word. He turned to the Sgt behind the front counter. “Well now, Sargent, since we're new here I'll leave it to you to let us know what it is we'll need to do next.” His tone was light but again there was that underlying tone of command that I managed to pick up after knowing Frank for a while. Basically saying, “get it right the first time soldier and I just might not put you on report.” Petersen nodded and gave a non-committal smile. “Yes sir. What we'll need all of you to do is to place your thumb print on the pad here” pointing to a small box with a black plate on top of the counter set to one side of him, “and that'll register you that you've checked in. You'll need to do this if you plan on leaving the floor for whatever reason. This is to help identify that you are not in personal quarters as they are not monitored like the other floors.”

Frank nodded and asked before placing his thumb anywhere near the pad. “Does this mean being here in the lobby as well?” Petersen shook his head, “no sir, if we know that you aren't on any of the other floors then we will first page your room and then secondly page the lobby area. If you hear a page then we ask that you come here to receive messages. Particularly if your presence is required elsewhere on the base.” Again Frank nodded understanding, Maggie didn't interpret for James as he wasn't paying the Sargent any attention, the boy's attention was drawn to a small room just next to the restaurant. I looked there myself and grinned. An arcade. From what I could see some of the games were dated but still attracted the attention of the kids and some adults. Maggie ignored her son for the moment, learning what she could of the base operations as we went along. Behind me I heard a small “beep”, when I turned back to the counter, Frank had just removed his thumb from the plate and stepped aside. Maggie stepped up and placed her thumb on it for a moment until it beeped as well. Inwardly reluctant I did so as well. Maggie tapped her son on the shoulder, who turned to see her with her eyebrows raised and inclining her head to the counter. The boy stepped up and had to reach a bit to put his thumb on the device. Petersen smiled down amicably at him, “How do you like it here so far young man?” James didn't respond. “My son is deaf, so you'll need to write out anything that you need to say to him, or one of us will sign for him” to prove the point she signed and pointed at the Sargent. James gave a false smile if I ever saw one and nodded giving a thumbs up then turned back to take in the lobby, almost studying it.

Petersen seemed non-plussed at the brusque reaction. “Okay from what it says here on the computer your rooms have been assigned and are down this corridor,” pointing the way, “in rooms 1048 and 1049, respectively. Colonel your quarters are in 1049 sir. Your keys are your thumbs, so to speak. The scanner has already encoded your print to the door locks and no-one except authorized personnel will have access to them.” Maggie spoke up, “authorized personnel, as in?”

“As in base security. But only when it is deemed necessary. They have a protocol that they're expected to strictly follow before entering any private quarters and still they must obtain permission directly from the General.” He hesitated to see how we would take this news. “I can assure you that since this base has been in operation, security has never had the need to request permission.”

Frank smiled and his grin was about as sincere as James. “That sounds outstanding Sargent. I understand our personal effects are already in our rooms?” Petersen nodded, “Roger that sir, all items have been through decontamination and have been placed in your assigned rooms. We've left everything for you to unpack as you see fit. Be forewarned sir that while the clothes have been decon-ed they haven't been washed. We do have a laundry service if you so wish or you can do them yourselves. There are maps along the walls of the corridors which will direct you to anything here.”

The Sargent looked a little hesitant, “Begging the colonel's pardon, but all of my usual staff are occupied with a recent shipment topside, but your rooms are easy to find. The numbers are in the walls and all you need is your thumb print for entry.” Frank nodded and turned to us. “Well, I don't know about the rest of you but I'm ready for a good sleep in a comfortable bed again.” We nodded together Maggie and I did at least, James was till taking in the interior lay out. Wouldn't matter, we all would eventually. But I felt that we needed to get together and talk things out more than get a good night's rest. I couldn't decide to go ahead and wait to add Frank into the mix or to just talk to Maggie about it at first, to feel the waters because she knew her father better than I ever would. James' input might be interesting as well.

The Sargent waited for Frank's acknowledgment and returned to his own duties behind the desk. We took a walk together towards the corridor and headed to our rooms. Maggie grinned as she tapped James' shoulder and nodded towards the hallway. He joined us as we moved to our rooms.

At the door I was reminded of the images of spaceships where there were no door-knobs and that they slid open upon command. These looked the same except there was a small rectangular box inserted into the wall to the right of the door frame, which had rounded corners instead of angular. Frank pressed his thumb on the black square in the middle of the box. There was a beep and the door slid open. He stepped inside and we followed. At first the room was dark but the further Frank entered the lighter it became. Frank re-assumed his role as tour-guide. “These rooms have photo-sensors which turn on the lights as you enter the room, they gradually get brighter as you can see. It's adjustable so you're not in the mood or just getting off shift and ready to sleep.” Behind us the door slid silently shut.

The room was larger than I thought at first as the lights came up all around, the walls & ceiling were taller as well. Most notable difference was that there were no angles at all. Rounded or curved edges. I also quickly noted there were no seams, as if the entire room was molded from one piece. I wasn't too far off in my initial assessment as Frank explained. “All the rooms were pre-fabricated on the surface and lowered down the main reactor shaft and installed. In between the spaces between rooms are the wiring and other various electronics. They're just wide enough for a technician to get in-between and do repairs if necessary.” He turned and grinned at us, “all of them were screened and tested for claustrophobia.” He walked further into the room and pointed out various features. “Living quarters here, kitchen to the left, a full bathroom joins both living and bedrooms together.

“We've had to upgrade a number of times with the appliances, furnishings and electronics to keep up with the rapid changes of technology.” he bent his head and looked up at us sheepishly, “we've uh, stolen or borrowed some advances earlier than they were supposed to be released over the years. It was rationalized that we were testing them for American consumers.” He shook it off, eager to show off more of the room's features.

“All the furniture has been selected for optimum comfort. There are several styles to choose from and if you like you can go to the front desk and the Sargent will direct you to the base commissary so you can pick out what you prefer.” He took a seat on a lounge chair and his body seemed to sink into it. He gestured to the sofa nearby, his face serious.

“I can assure you that we won't be heard or monitored at anytime during our stay here as long as we're in our quarters. Outside however, we'll have to be careful with what we say... and do.”

Maggie leaned forward, “Dad, are you saying that we may be in trouble while we're here?”

“No, but I'm seeing differences in the way things are done as opposed to when I was stationed here.” He shook his head, staring down at his hands for a pause, then looked up at us, “for the moment I don't think any of us are in danger. I plan on finding out as much as I can and I'll let you know. I'm hoping that Bob and I will be able to sit down for a long chat sort of catch up, and I hope that he'll confide in me things that he normally wouldn't with anyone else around. But for now I'm just going to relax and take it easy, I'm tired and just burnt out from our... adventures on the road. I've enjoyed the trip and it's been fun but my body is letting me know that I've had enough for the time being. “Meanwhile you three do the same, but be of course casual about it and please, relax. We are safe from the dead on the surface.”

I had to scoff, “Oh yeah, what about those poor bastards on the level above us?” Frank raised his hand to stave off any further protest, “I know, and I'm not liking it but I can assure you that they've won't find their way down here. When, you go up there and have a closer look...” I quickly interjected incredulously “Just why in God's name would I want to go up there?” He gave Maggie a look. “You didn't tell him?”

Again I jumped in “Tell me what?” I made as if to get up, “something tells me I'd have a better odds at living if I take my chances with the sniper on the surface.” I knew it was an irrational statement but dammit I hated being left in the dark or put on a “need to know” basis. This little group was going to have a stern talking to if they expected me to remain in their little nucleus. I was doing jes' fine until I got hooked up with them. My mind whirled and I struggled to stop it spinning.

A look at Maggie brought my mind to a screeching halt. I sat back down, swallowed my anger and nodded to Frank as I rested my back to the sofa. “Better start explaining Frank, or I'm outta here. It's as simple as that.”

Frank nodded, “I won't put the blame on Maggie for not telling you, I was looking to save some time because I knew when we got here I wouldn't have time to tell you in person... at least until now. I'm glad that they hadn't decided to want to see you immediately.”

My eyebrows raised, “They?”
Frank continued. “The scientists and doctors that are studying the plague.” he began. “They still don't know what causes it even though I gave you our suspicions. What they want to know more about is how it affects the dead. That is why they've captured several specimens for the purpose of study and...”

I interrupted and I didn't care if I was being rude. I wasn't military, I was nothing, a nobody. “How many specimens?”

Frank shook his head, “That I honestly don't know, but you will find out when they invite you up for questioning. “Mind you I said invite. You can turn them down but I wouldn't recommend it. Because they believe you are a survivor holding a masters in zoocryptology. So your knowledge of the dead would provide most useful to their studies.”

My jaw dropped. I suddenly have a masters in zoocrypto-wha? How the hell did Frank figure that?
“I told them about you so that they would see you as an valuable asset to the facility and be more welcomed and given VIP treatment. Particularly since I said you were the President's advisor on paranormal and unusual events.” Frank's apologetic face did nothing to prevent my jaw from dropping lower, or at least it felt like it did.

I was floored. I just couldn't believe the position I found myself in. Before all of this happened I was just a lowly tour-guide who had expertise in the type of tours he was giving to wide-eyed and curious hoards of vacationing families from around the world. Part of me wanted to grab my pack and head for the nearest elevator and get back to the surface. I wasn't afraid, just trying to be realistic. I do pride myself on being smart but to have a masters level of education you'd better know some impressive $16 words, and understand the ones that would be thrown at you. Another part of me wanted to laugh at the absurdity of it. Still another part of me wanted to throttle Frank but I knew that the moment I tried I'd have the three of them beating the crap out of me before I even got half way out of my seat.

I raised my hands for a moment looking at them before placing them back into my lap. My eyes went to Maggie, who watched me with a mixture of apprehension and bemusement. She grinned, “You're taking this much better than I expected you would.” I shot her a look that was harder than I had intended and she dropped her grin. “Oh, you and I aren't even started talking about this, hunny.” I turned back to Frank. “And just when did you manage to tell them all of this?”

“I told you, over the radio as we were coming in. It's a lot like talking on the phone. But also I gave more details as we went through the decontamination during the individual phases. I was constantly barraged with questions. My level of security clearance demands such a debriefing. I could've told them the truth and you would've been shuttled off to some other area of the facility or worse, left outside.”

“Dad, no! They wouldn't!?” Maggie interjected, her tone was genuine with shock and hurt.

Frank shook his head sadly. “Yes, the level of public knowledge of this base was highly restricted. You and James knew of it by virtue of knowing me. By my countenance you're allowed in, because you're family, you're military and James is your child. John here, is...” I jumped in again “a nobody and a security risk because I could go off and tell everyone else about it and some idiots would try to storm the place and...” it was Frank's turn to interrupt “and they'd be slaughtered. You recall the outer perimeter security don't you? The gun ships? A small squadron of those could've won the Battle of the Bulge and be home in time for a hot meal. Imagine what they'd do to a group of poorly armed civilians?

“Then take the interior security, those robots working tirelessly in the warehouse and storage areas high above us. In 5 minutes each of them could be re-armed, literally with high powered weaponry. They're armored and very tough, all major components that keeps them running are protected from stray or targeted fire. Their own targeting system is ... well, I'm sure you get the idea.”

I stared at Frank and tried to wrap my mind around the idea that he was actually part of this place. I understood the need for them, but their seeming indifferent attitudes towards life in order to preserve the American way was just too unreal. Letting cold, unfeeling machines and technology have run of the place because they wouldn't be hampered with human illogic and feelings, to better ensure the preservation of the contents, alive or otherwise. Bob was just a facade to keep people calm and rational, thinking that at least there was a human element involved in the decision making.

Great, terrific and just freakin fantastic.

I looked at the man. “Okay Frank, now just what exactly is a zoocryptolo-whazzit, that I'm supposed to play and just how do you expect me to pull it off?”

Frank smiled, and it looked awfully ambiguous. “Quite simply a zoocryptologist is a person who studies mythical beasts. Loch Ness Monsters, Sasquatches, werewolves, vampires, Chupacabras, aliens and things of that nature. Yes, including the walking undead or zombies as they're called.” Off of my look he guessed at what I was thinking. “Believe it or not the President has an advisor for just about everything. He has to. Should anything, like this, turn up then he'd need someone with experience and knowledge to rely upon to make the right decisions.”

I had known but like most Americans (hopefully) was in denial that such things even existed for the President to consider having a contingency plan for it. Wonder if he had a contingency for what's going on right now? I shook my head at the whole idea. “Frank, they're going to know something is up the minute I open my mouth. Then where will we be?”

Frank grinned and asked me to trust him in that he trusts me to know what to do and say when the time comes. He felt strongly that my experience out there among the dead would prove invaluable, irregardless of my credentials... or lack thereof.

At that Maggie stood and took me by the hand. “C'mon doctor,” she teased, “lets have a look at where we'll be staying.” She waved at James to get his attention, when she got it she signed briefly. He shook his head and signed back and pointed at Frank. Maggie nodded and gave a few more signs before pulling at my hand in the direction of our apartment. I sat there and looked up at her for a moment not feeling at all happy with our whole situation. In a way I was beginning to prefer our existence out beyond these walls and living the risk of walkers and now, a sniper. I hadn't forgotten about him by any stretch of the imagination. I was worried that he would find his way inside one way or another.

Maggie persisted in tugging at my hand to get me up out of the chair. Finally I gave in, tired and bewildered. A long sleep on a decent bed would be a good thing. The last one was the hotel we stayed at the night before. I wasn't sorely missing soft mattresses or anything, but they were to say the least a lot better than the cold ground, or even a Semi's sleeper cab. For one thing wouldn't have to worry about waking up to a dead guy trying to eat me.

No comments:

Post a Comment